Light on the stomach, easy to digest and packed with nutrients. This nourish bone broth will keep you hydrated, provide energy, and can help ‘wake up’ the appetite before you try to eat something more substantial.
PREP TIME: 25 minutes
COOKING TIME: 6 hours
35oz mixed beef bones (with bone marrow)
4 cloves of garlic
2 white onions
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp sea salt
1 bunch of parsley
1 large piece of ginger
1/4 tsp of nutmeg
4 bay leaves
5 juniper berries
1 sprig of thyme
100fl oz water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Roast the beef bones in a baking tray until dark and golden; around 40 minutes.
- Cut the vegetables into large chunks.
- Gently heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently sauté the vegetables until starting to soften; around 20 minutes.
- Add the roasted bones to the vegetables with the remaining ingredients and water. Bring to the boil and gently simmer for 2 hours.
- As the broth cooks, froth will rise to the top of the pan. Skim this off with a spoon and discard for a clear, tasty broth. You’ll need to do this a few times as the bones simmer.
- Remove the bones from the pan, allow to cool slightly, then push out as much marrowbone as you can.
- Return the bones and marrowbone to the pan and simmer for another 3 hours, remembering to skim away any froth.
- Leave the broth to cool down then pass it through a fine sieve, retaining the clear liquid.
- Use the broth immediately or divide it into portions and freeze.
Jane Clarke is a dietitian and Cordon Bleu chef with more than 30 years’ experience in the nutrition industry. She is the author of nine best-selling books, columnist, and regularly contributes on TV. She has worked with Jamie Oliver on several of his projects and now leads Nourish by Jane Clarke, which provides a solution to the problem of undernourishment and provides empowerment and inspiration to those who are facing a health challenge, such as cancer and dementia.
If we’ve got you on a pasta vibe, you need this SUPER SQUASH, SAGE & SHIITAKE PASTA recipe in your life.
For another wholesome and comforting liquid meal option, cast your eye over this vegan-friendly FRENCH ONION SOUP- PLANTS ONLY KITCHEN.