- 1 tbsp olive oil 8 baby eggplants, cut in half lengthways (or 2 regular ones, cut into wedges)
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- Pinch sea salt and pepper
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce or coconut aminos (for soy-free)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp English mustard
For the lentils:
- 1 x 14oz can green lentils, drained
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Handful of chopped fresh herbs (I used mint, basil, and parsley)
- Pinch of sea salt and pepper
- Handful of black olives
To serve: Samphire, steamed (optional)
Method: Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place the eggplants into the pan, cut-side down, then add the shallots, garlic and seasoning.
Cook for 2–3 minutes, until the eggplants are nice and golden, then flip over. Add the rosemary, vinegar, soy sauce, maple syrup, mustard and 240ml (1 cup) water.
Turn the heat down and allow the liquid to reduce to a glaze-like consistency for about five minutes.
Meanwhile, mix all the lentil ingredients together in a saucepan, and place over low heat to warm up gently.
Once the eggplants are glazed, serve with the lentils and steamed samphire, if using.
Kcal: 255 Fat: 5.4g Carbs: 35.8g Protein: 7.4g
Plants Only Kitchen by Author & Chef Gaz Oakley (Quadrille, available in Hardback and eBook) Photography: Simon Smith. Follow Gaz on socials: @AvantGardeVegan