This wonderfully simple, flavorsome soup is just the thing to keep the cold at bay. A small amount provides goodness in abundance if you have a tiny appetite.
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 45 minutes
40oz butternut squash
Sprigs of thyme, for roasting
Olive oil, for drizzling
7oz onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
38fl oz chicken or vegetable stock
3.5oz Parmesan, finely grated
3.5fl oz double cream (optional)
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Put the squash on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, top with sprigs of thyme and roast for 25 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile, soften the onions and garlic in the butter.
- Add the stock and roasted squash.
- Cook until soft, then blend until smooth.
- Stir in the Parmesan and season to taste.
- Finish with a swirl of double cream, if extra calories are needed.
Jane Clarke is a dietitian and Cordon Bleu chef with more than 30 years’ experience in the nutrition industry. She is the author of nine best-selling books, columnist, and regularly contributes on TV. She has worked with Jamie Oliver on several of his projects and now leads Nourish by Jane Clarke, which provides a solution to the problem of undernourishment and provides empowerment and inspiration to those who are facing a health challenge, such as cancer and dementia.
Squash is such a versatile and underrated ingredient, keep the warming winter vibes going with this SUPER SQUASH, SAGE & SHIITAKE PASTA recipe.