Tenderstem broccoli is available from June to November. Its sweet and delicate flavor works flawlessly with the garlic and chili to create a refined taste to savor.
Ricotta salata is a delicious addition to this dish. It is a salted, pressed, and aged ricotta, with a much firmer texture to traditional ricotta and a similar flavor to feta. It is available in some supermarkets and Italian delis, but if you are struggling to find it, substitute pecorino or parmesan instead.
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 10 minutes
7 oz tenderstem broccoli, ends trimmed
3.5 oz cavolo nero or kale, stems removed
14 oz orecchiette pasta
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, finely sliced
1 fresh red chili, finely chopped
1.25 oz ricotta salata, pecorino or parmesan cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Blanch the broccoli in a pan of boil salted water for 1-2 minutes until it is just cooked but still firm. Repeat this with the cavolo nero or kale. Set the vegetables aside.
- Bring a large pot of boiling salted water to a rolling boil. Cook the orecchiette until al dente, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large pan, add the garlic and chili and sauté on low to medium heat, without adding any color.
- Add the vegetables to the pan and toss through.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain well, reserving a few tablespoons of the starchy cooking water.
- Add the pasta to the pan with the vegetable, garlic, and chili and mix through. Add a little of the starchy cooking water to loosen, if needed.
- Serve with grated cheese, salt, and freshly ground black pepper, and a pinch of red pepper flakes for some extra heat.
Jane Clarke is a dietitian and Cordon Bleu chef with more than 30 years’ experience in the nutrition industry. She is the author of nine best-selling books, columnist, and regularly contributes on TV. She has worked with Jamie Oliver on several of his projects and now leads Nourish by Jane Clarke, which provides a solution to the problem of undernourishment and provides empowerment and inspiration to those who are facing a health challenge, such as cancer and dementia.
If we’ve got you on a pasta vibe, you need this SUPER SQUASH, SAGE & SHIITAKE PASTA recipe in your life.